What does your home feel like to you? A place of rest, rejuvenation, inspiration, creativity and healing or a place of unrest or even dis-stress?
Sowing even just a little time and energy into creating a healing haven within your own home can have deep, lasting and a powerful effect that flows through into your whole life impacting more than just the time you spend there but flowing over into how you relate at work, your relationships, your productivity and your overall wellbeing.
Personally after floating around for the past couple of years from place to place, doing housesitting here and there, traveling with my business and staying with friends and family in between I’m so excited to be in the process of setting up my own space again as it’s been quite a few years since I’ve had a space to really create as my own little healing haven and home back on the Central Coast of NSW.
I find it such an exciting process and although I really enjoyed both the benefits and drawbacks of my gypsy lifestyle for the past couple of years I fully appreciate the value and impact of having a space where YOU can set the environment.
5 tips to create your home healing haven…
1. Get rid of the clutter. When we stay in one place for an extended period of time it can be easy to hang onto much more than we need or use and thus clutter up our space with new or old ‘stuff’ whether we consider it valueable or junk. It is a very healthy process to regularly go through your home (and or garage) and get rid of what you no longer need or use. Remember you need to get rid of what you don’t want to make room for what you do want before it has space to arrive.
2. Define what you want your space to be. Take some time to go sit somewhere that you feel peaceful and inspired and imagine what you would like your space to be like, what would it feel like, how would you like to feel when you are there, what does that look like to you (colours, spaces, space, pictures, smells etc) and write it down. Keep this as a reference and now start working towards it. Remember a thousand mile journey starts with a single step, just take one little step at a time and you’ll be amazed at how your space evolves as the weeks and months roll on.
3. Create a vision board. Gather a collection of photo’s, images and words that symbolise what it is you want to create in your healing haven and in your life… They could symbolise how you want to feel, things you want to achieve, things you want to do or things you want to have and then create a collage of them on a piece of cardboard, corkboard, a canvas (or even just blue-tack them on your wall or mirror) and hang or place it somewhere that you can take a moment each day to look at it and feel the emotion of having, being or doing those things as if you already have it in your life now.
4. Use colours that make you feel good. Colour has a huge impact on how we feel. Use colours around your home that make you feel good. You may like to use different colours in different rooms if your aim is to set a different mood for yourself in different spaces. It could be as simple as hanging some colourful pieces of fabric around or using some rugs, cushions, candles and paintings to create some warmth or coolness in your home healing haven. Whether you use what you have, buy some new ones or visit your local op shop there is a way to add colour to your home that suits your budget.
5. Make it yours. There is no particular way to do or not to do this, no right or wrong… Simply do it your way and have some fun with it as you create your own home healing haven that celebrates who you are, what you love, what inspires you, the colours that make you feel good and allows your personality to come shining through!
Remember we are also constantly evolving, growing, changing beings so have fun with this and know that your space will also need adjustments and updates every now and then to be in tune with who you are in this moment.
Are you ready to enjoy the benefits and joy of having a healing haven within your own home? Let’s begin!